Tuesday 11 December 2012

Proposal Number 2

After mulling over my proposal idea and taking some initial shots, I don't feel the passion and excitement like I did when I first created this idea, the creative spark seems to have gone after taking some shots and they not working out as expected!

This has lead me to create another proposal inspired by the work of Wim Wenders, which still follows the idea of comparing and contrasting two places and decors, but using a space that I know well, and one that I do not know at all.

"Photography enables you to grasp a place first time round. In fact, photography often tends to become impossible in a place you're already familiar with."

I read this quote the other day on the website that shows the book in more detail (http://www.wim-wenders.com/art/written_in_the_west.htm) and I have been thinking about it for some time. We have just begun to sell my Grandma's house after she died in 2009, so I want to take a set of photographs documenting the aged decor and construction of her house. The front of her house looks quite new, because of the new windows and doors we put there before she died, but the inside appears to be stuck in a 'time warp' like the town of Blackpool. Referring back to the comparing and contrasting ideas that I began with, I want to take photographs and replicate them in a modern home, such as my own. Using these photographs together would, in my eyes, create a strong set of photographs that have a meaning behind them, like the pro-American nature of Wim Wenders photographs.

c. Wim Wenders
I flicked through my lecturers 'Written in the West' book and instantly was drawn to this shot. In my Grandma's house, she has a painting similar to this in her front room, hanging on the wall above a ornate, vintage dressing table. Photographing this notion and replicating it in my own bedroom, where I have framed prints of my photography work hanging over my desk, would create a strong sense of contrast, which some comparisons. I hope this would make an interesting set!

In the mean time, I'll post both sets that I attempt to take, in order to show progression and failed shot. At the end of this year, I intend to be following one proposal, rather than trying the two out to find my feet!

No comments:

Post a Comment