Sunday 6 January 2013

Evaluation


Self Evaluation Report by Laura Parkinson
Exploring Photographic Practice

I’m not going to lie, but when I was given the photographer Wim Wenders as a point of research for this unit, my stomach sank a little. I really didn’t like his technique or his photographs, but could appreciate them for what they were. It was only then, when I did some in-depth research into the thoughts process behind his work and how they were created, that I began to look at his work differently and become more influenced by it.

The first presentation went well, considering me and my partner Cherry Harrison were both very shy! Being able to talk about another photographers work with someone I had only met recently was something I had never done before, and I feel like both of us achieved an awful lot by just speaking in front of 20 people. Therefore, the second presentation was a lot easier, I was able to express my opinion and my peers agreed the idea was very strong and could be executed well.

I originally planned to take a set of images based on the work of Wim Wenders, comparing and contrasting dated exteriors and interiors with modern ones. I took a series of photographs one day and could not find the passion I had when I conjured up the idea. Thus, I decided to run two projects side by side, to see which one attracted my attention more. It became clear to me after two weeks to running both projects that my second project; concentrating on interiors rather than exteriors, was more motivating for me, and really got my photographical senses flowing!

My second idea was something that I enjoyed, but with regards to emulating Wim Wenders work, I am not so sure I have achieved this to the highest standard. I think that I emulated his work in regards to his presentation, composition and colour, but I think if I was to do this project again, I would need to research a lot deeper into his work and emulate his work with similar meaning as well as visual. I think that placing old and modern photographs together was a good idea initially, but after looking at my final images, I am not too sure. If I was to do this set of photographs again, I think I would take photographs in an old style exclusively. The photographs of my Grandma’s house were strong enough by themselves, and in some of the photograph pairings, the modern photographs ruined them, in my opinion. The photograph I included in my finals of the painting above the dressing table was my favourite outcome from this unit, as it was executed well, in contrast to my above statement.

Overall, this project was one that I struggled with. Trying to make my work relate to a photographer was difficult, as I thought that my work had to relate in a way other people could see instantly, and think “oh yeah, she was influenced by Wim Wenders”. Changing ideas mid-project was something I had never done before, usually, things work first time round for me, so having to change my ideas was somewhat distressing. In the future, and if I was given the opportunity to do this project again, I would have a clear idea from the beginning, towards to end of the time given to complete the work, I began to feel stressed that my work would not meet the standards given when relating to the work of Wim Wenders.


No comments:

Post a Comment