Wednesday 5 December 2012

Proposal


After looking at the work of Wim Wenders, the contrast between the décor and imagery that the buildings he has photographed and the buildings that exist in society and the modern world are strong. However, there are places in the modern world that remain stuck in the 20th century, in a rut of vintage and worn décor. I want to photograph the modern, new look décor that surrounds us in the big cities such as Manchester and Liverpool, and create a stark contrast between the dated interiors and signage of Blackpool.

c Wim Wenders
Wim Wenders work concentrated on the landscape of the American landscape, and how this is portrayed through a medium format 6x7 film. He is very pro-American, so I want to continue this and show the very British style that this country has through my photographs!


This was the photograph that created the idea. The dated building, with dull colours, looks odd next to the bright, bold building that has obviously been refurbished long after its neighbour. Whenever I visit Blackpool, I am astounded to find I can simply walk from the modern town centre with eye catching signage from high street shops, such as River Island and Topshop, and then on the next street be greeted with signage and cafes that are stuck in the 60’s time warp. I want to capture this in a set of photographs, to create a set of photographs that seem times apart.

c Yoanne Lemoine
After indepth research, I stumbled across the work of Yoann Lemoine (photograph shown above), who is also a film director stroke photographer. He almost reflects the work of Wim Wenders, capturing the American landscape on a medium format film camera, but in the 21st century. The photograph I have found above shows the kind of photographs I wish to take. The retro feel of the café is the exact thing I regularly find in Blackpool diners and bars, so I want to photograph this and place it in contrast with restaurants and food chains in Manchester.

c Wim Wenders
This was the photograph that inspired me for the interior contrast. This work by Wim Wenders was the photograph that drew my attention to what his style of photography was. The reds in the foreground really drew my attention in. I want to recreate something similar to this in my set, but link it in with more modern décor and furniture too.

Back to the work of Yoann Lemoine, he also produced a set of photographs called ‘Empty Spaces’. This set contained the photograph, below, showing how I want the compositon of my signage photographs to look.

c. Yoanne Lemoine
The tight crop really draws my attention into the shot, drawing my eyes into the clutter of items on the shelves. I have seen shots like this in Blackpool, selling gypsy crystals and other souvenirs to take home. Photographing the clutter of the Blackpool shop windows and the sleek, modern approach that the high street shops take may make an interesting set of photographs, paired with the tight cropped frame.



No comments:

Post a Comment